The EUTRO 2018 programme and the book of abstracts can be downloaded here: EUTRO 2018 programme_abstracts_QA_PS_final
The 4th International Symposium on Research and Management of Eutrophication in Coastal Ecosystems (EUTRO 2018) will take place 18-20 June 2018 in Nyborg, Denmark.
EUTRO 2018 will focus on:
- Setting the scene: What is coastal eutrophication?
- Presentation and discussion of scientific results in relation to specific eutrophication issues, e.g.:
- Causative factors and direct and indirect eutrophication effects
- Climate and physical control on the biogeochemical dynamics and eutrophication status of the coastal zone
- Effects of eutrophication of biodiversity, food webs and ecosystem services
- Monitoring, modelling and assessment of eutrophication
- Presentation and discussion of evidence-based or ecosystem-based nutrient management strategies and polices
- Next steps: From eutrophication to oligotrophication in a changing climate
The following keynote speakers at EUTRO 2018 are confirmed. The titles of their presentations are tentative:
- “Coastal marine eutrophication: the damage, the danger and the disruptions” by Carlos M. Duarte, KAUST, Saudi Arabia
- “The global experience in abating coastal eutrophication: Barriers and bridges” by Donald Boesch, UMCES, USA
- “Phytoplankton dynamics and food web efficiency in relation to changing nutrient and climate regimes” by Monika Winder, SU, Sweden
- “Submerged aquatic vegetation in relation to changing nutrient and climate regimes” by Marianne Holmer, SDU, Denmark
- “Contributions of macrofaunal communities to ecosystem function across gradients of eutrophication” by Alf Norkko, UH, Finland
- “Eutrophication science in a changing world: what have we learned and where to go from here?” by Jeremy Testa, UMCES, USA
- “From bloom to doom – 30 years of managing eutrophication in the North and Baltic Seas” by Ulrich Claussen, UBA, Germany
The themes for oral presentations (15 minutes + 5 minutes for questions) at EUTRO 2018 are:
- Land use and nutrients: Loads, concentrations, availability, limitation and dynamics
- Phytoplankton and HABs
- Benthic communities (a merger of ‘Submerged aquatic vegetation’ and ‘Benthic invertebrates’)
- Monitoring, remote sensing and modelling
- Assessment and management tools
- Mitigation, oligotrophication and recovery
Oral presentations relating to the above themes and also the themes of the keynote presentations, especially keynote presentations no. 6 and 7, are welcomed.
EUTRO 2018 will also include a poster session and the following 2-3 seminars:
- From monitoring data to integrated assessments (convened by Jacob Carstensen, Ciarán Murray, Jonas Svensson and Mats Lindegarth)
- Steps toward a harmonized assessment of eutrophication in Europe’s seas (convened by Jesper H. Andersen, Vivi Fleming-Lehtinen, Wera Leujak and Johnny Reker)
In addition to the keynote presentations, oral presentations and seminars, the organizers are pleased to announce that a closing summary of EUTRO 2018 will be presented by Wally Fulweiler (BU, USA), Dorte Krause-Jensen (AU, Denmark) and Katherine Richardson (KU, Denmark).
EUTRO 2018 Symposium Proceedings will be published as a Research Topic in Frontiers in Marine Science (FMARS), section on Marine Ecosystem Ecology. Guest editors are: Jesper H. Andersen, Jacob Carstensen, Marianne Holmer, Dorte Krause-Jensen and Katherine Richardson. Click here to read more.
The draft programme and book-of-abstracts is now available. Please note that a printed programme will be handed once arriving to Nyborg, Denmark.
Registration opened on January 18, 2018. The symposium fee is 7.450 DKK (€1000). This covers a package including participation in EUTRO 2018, accommodation Monday and Tuesday night and full board during the symposium (18-20 June 2018). The symposium opens officially on Monday at 8:30 CET, so we recommend that you arrive on Sunday evening. An additional 745 DKK (€100) fee covers an informal reception Sunday evening, accommodation Sunday night and breakfast Monday morning.
The number of participants is limited. Places at EUTRO 2018 will be allocated on a first-come first-served basis. Sign up early to avoid disappointment!
Click here to begin registration.
EUTRO 2018 is organized by NIVA Denmark Water Research and DCE – Danish Center For Environment and Energy. Click here to read more about the Scientific Committee and the Organizing Committee. Further, EUTRO 2018 is supported by:
- Danish Environmental Protection Agency (MST)
- Swedish Agency for Marine and Water Management (SwAM)
- University of Southern Denmark (SDU)
- NYBORG STRAND Hotel og Konferencecenter