If you previously submitted an abstract to EUTRO 2018 and have not yet received a confirmation, you are urged to resubmit it to email@example.com. Sorry about the hassle…
The 4th International Symposium on Research and Management of Eutrophication in Coastal Ecosystems (EUTRO 2018) will take place 18-20 June 2018 in Nyborg, Denmark.
EUTRO 2018 will focus on:
- Setting the scene: What is coastal eutrophication?
- Presentation and discussion of scientific results in relation to specific eutrophication issues, e.g.:
- Causative factors and direct and indirect eutrophication effects
- Climate and physical control on the biogeochemical dynamics and eutrophication status of the coastal zone
- Effects of eutrophication of biodiversity, food webs and ecosystem services
- Monitoring, modelling and assessment of eutrophication
- Presentation and discussion of evidence-based or ecosystem-based nutrient management strategies and polices
- Next steps: From eutrophication to oligotrophication in a changing climate
The following keynote speakers at EUTRO 2018 are confirmed. The titles of their presentations are tentative:
- “Coastal marine eutrophication: the damage, the danger and the disruptions” by Carlos M. Duarte, KAUST, Saudi Arabia
- “Abatement of coastal eutrophication: what works and what doesn’t?” by Donald Boesch, UMCES, USA
- “Phytoplankton dynamics and food web efficiency in relation to changing nutrient and climate regimes” by Monika Winder, SU, Sweden
- “Submerged aquatic vegetation in relation to changing nutrient and climate regimes” by Marianne Holmer, SDU, Denmark
- “Zoobenthos dynamics in relation to changing nutrient and climate regimes” by Alf Norkko, UH, Finland
- “Eutrophication research: where are we now and where are we going” by Jeremy Testa, UMCES, USA
- “Management of coastal eutrophication: challenges and future directions” by Ulrich Claussen, UBA, Germany
The themes for oral presentations (15 minutes + 5 minutes for questions) at EUTRO 2018 are:
- Land use, loads and nutrient concentrations
- Nutrient availability, limitation and dynamics
- Phytoplankton and HABs
- Submerged aquatic vegetation
- Sediments and benthic fluxes
- Oxygen, hypoxia and anoxia
- Benthic invertebrates
- Eutrophication in relation to biodiversity, food webs and ecosystem services
- Eutrophication in coastal lagoons
- Monitoring, remote sensing and modelling
- Assessment and management tools
- Mitigation, oligotrophication and recovery
Oral presentations relating to the above themes and also the themes of the keynote presentations, especially keynote presentations no. 6 and 7, are welcomed.
EUTRO 2018 will also include a poster session and the following 2-3 seminars:
- From monitoring data to integrated assessments (convened by Jacob Carstensen, Ciarán Murray, Jonas Svensson and Mats Lindegarth)
- Steps toward a harmonized assessment of eutrophication in Europe’s seas (convened by Jesper H. Andersen, Vivi Fleming-Lehtinen, Wera Leujak, Mustafa Mantickı and Johnny Reker)
- Blue forests: threats and potentials (to be confirmed)
In addition to the keynote presentations, oral presentations and seminars, the organizers are pleased to announce that a closing summary of EUTRO 2018 will be presented by Wally Fulweiler (BU, USA), Dorte Krause-Jensen (AU, Denmark) and Katherine Richardson (KU, Denmark).
EUTRO 2018 Symposium Proceedings will be published as a Research Topic in Frontiers in Marine Science (FMARS), section on Marine Ecosystem Ecology. Guest editors are: Jesper H. Andersen, Jacob Carstensen, Marianne Holmer, Dorte Krause-Jensen and Katherine Richardson. Click here to read more.
Submission of abstracts opened on January 5, 2018 and will close on March 30, 2018. The draft programme and book-of-abstracts will be published online on May 4, 2018. Click here to download a mandatory template for submission of abstracts. Abstracts should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org before March 30, 2018.
NB: If you previously have submitted an abstract to EUTRO 2018 and have not yet received a confirmation, you are urged to resubmit it to email@example.com. Sorry about the hassle…
Registration opened on January 18, 2018. The symposium fee is 7.450 DKK (€1000). This covers a package including participation in EUTRO 2018, accommodation Monday and Tuesday night and full board during the symposium (18-20 June 2018). The symposium opens officially on Monday at 8:30 CET, so we recommend that you arrive on Sunday evening. An additional 745 DKK (€100) fee covers an informal reception Sunday evening, accommodation Sunday night and breakfast Monday morning.
The number of participants is limited. Places at EUTRO 2018 will be allocated on a first-come first-served basis. Sign up early to avoid disappointment!
Click here to begin registration.
Please note that deadline for registration is Friday 11 May 2018.
EUTRO 2018 is organized by NIVA Denmark Water Research and DCE – Danish Center For Environment and Energy. Click here to read more about the Scientific Committee and the Organizing Committee. Further, EUTRO 2018 is supported by:
- Danish Environmental Protection Agency (MST)
- Swedish Agency for Marine and Water Management (SwAM)
- University of Southern Denmark (SDU)
- NYBORG STRAND Hotel og Konferencecenter